Thursday, April 15, 2010

M is for Movies

So I figure today a lot of people are going to be talking about either movies or music. However for me this is not just about what movies are my all time favourite, but also my point of view of movies as a whole.

As many of you know, my dream is to go into film. As a writer, visual and audio editor. These are the aspects that I feel I can exceed at, as well as keep me out of the spotlight but still in the credits. In film you have the actors and directors which most people see and associate with a great film. Yes they are talented but one thing they do not understand is that in order for that movies or television shows to have the full impact on people that it does it first needs a writer to give the actors something to read. The storyline is very important. If you didn't have a storyline with dialogue for each character you wouldn't have the show. The actors are not coming up with this stuff on the spot, they get into these characters created by the writer. After the filming is all done, in my opinion the next most important job other than the writer is the editors, for visual and audio.

How many times do you watch a movie and tear up or laugh? Do you think you would have the same effect if all of a sudden you have unwanted material in the video, or there was no sound, just dialogue? Would that video not get boring? The way the clips are placed together creates a storyline just like the writer. In a way the visual editor does the same job as the writer, just with visual effects rather than written. Music creates emotion, it give the movie its full impact. It manipulates the viewers emotions to feel the way it was intended to be through a certain melody. With having visual with audio, it creates the viewers to listen to the words of the song unconsciously to grasp the full meaning.

Today I had a simple seminar with the film school I will be attending in October, and two things came into my mind at the same time. One: Did I make a mistake by choosing Toronto Film School over Vancouver Film School just because it was closer to home? And Two: Can I do this? Can I get to the point in this career I want to be, with big time films or televisions shows? Or will I just be purely mediocre?

As for my favourite films. I would have to say my all time favourites are 'While You Were Sleeping' and 'Made of Honor' Two of the greatest chick flicks in my opinion. Both extremely romantic with a touch of humor to lighten the mood. What are some of your favourite films?

Also I would like to thank all my new readers. It means a lot to me that you keep coming back to comment on my blog, and it always feels good knowing that someone is reading your blog.

5 comments:

  1. What a very interesting 'movie' post with a peek at the behind the scenes work. It is so true that music and editing lend so very much to a movie, not to mention the writing!

    I hope you are happy at the school you chose and go on to be successful at whatever level you end up...but most of all, that you love your work!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most intersting, there is alot of backroom work to a movie, people who don't seem to get the credit they deserve.
    Enjoyed your post.
    Have a lovely week-end.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the job of the editor is a tough one, and involves a lot of work. I believe in the saying that if the editor has done their job right, the audience won't notice, so that the tiniest mistake in editing will be seen by all. I've done a small amount of editing in my time, and it's been very challenging.

    as for favourite movies, I love some of the 60's sci fi movies, like The Time Machine and Planet of the Apes. There's something about the lack of modern special effects that lends to it a sense of realism, plus there's more of a focus on the plot and the characters and the acting than the razzle dazzle of modern cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George Lucas said that movies are really made in the editing room, and in Episode IV, the music was the only above-standard feature. Editing is probably the most important job in the show, but what do "Key Grips" and "Best Boys" do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wizard of Oz is my favorite, as well as Hope Floats, Sleepless in Seattle, I love chick flicks...OOOOOOOh ya, I absolutely love Mama Mia! Great post!

    ReplyDelete